Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"Take (him) to the moon for me"

We've spent 2 weeks with Lexi and her middle name Xia (霞), which means dawn or daybreak, certainly rings true.  Her healthy birth is our first light in the midst of a dark season.  There's no way to dim the hope and life that she brings into our home.

I wondered how I would feel when she arrived.  Aside from relief when I saw her breathe and heard her cry, I've been surprised by how I've experienced many normal "parent to a newborn" emotions...  I like to clarify that I'm not a "new parent".  I've felt tired, confused at the current day/time, overwhelmed at learning to breastfeed, amazed that she is her own little person.  These mundane feelings are such a privilege. 

In the midst of the chaos and joy, it's hard not to compare to the infinite details that we missed with our son.  Even in a few weeks, I know so much more about Alexis than her big brother.  She likes to lean to the right side, she snorts like a little piggy, she has an involuntary smile when her tummy is full, and she has bright wide eyes in the middle of the night when she believes it's time to play. 

Lexi's first non-hospital outing was to view the super moon lunar eclipse last night.  I often imagine what Louie would be like as an 18-month old toddler.  It's a futile wish... so instead I only hope that he knows how much he is loved and missed every day.  

We wanted to take you both to see the moon.   

Photo credit on the lunar eclipse: Jill Kou

My wish for Louie, wherever he is in this moment...
"Take (him) to the moon for me, ok?" - Bing Bong, Pixar's film Inside Out


And I believe that is Louie's wish for his little sister, Alexis...

No comments:

Post a Comment