Friday, January 28, 2011

Ice Cream at the Boardwalk



The trip to Olongapo was great. YWAM Olongapo (Youth with a Mission) is another group that works with women (and men) who no longer work in the bars. The staff, women, and children all live in a complex together. It really felt like one big family in the way they share life. Imagine cooking for 30-40 people for each meal.

One of the nights, a few women took me out to the night market and boardwalk in Subic Bay. I was overwhelmed by their generosity as they treated me to ice cream and bought a bracelet for me with their small weekly allowance. They said they wanted me to remember the visit. Those interactions are a gentle reminder of how to truly be generous.


My main task for the trip was to document the paper making process and introduce some quality control measures. Here are a few snapshots of the laborious process of making handmade recycled paper and experimenting with new colors. Check out Good Paper (http://www.goodpaper.com/) to purchase awesome handmade greeting cards. They are beautiful and help to empower the women I’ve met the last few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment